The Farr West World of Myscal Taylor
Farr West is a city in Weber County, Utah, United States. The population was 3,094 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Ogden–Clearfield, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Farr West City is located on the north end of Weber County. It is bordered on the east by Pleasant View and by Harrisville, on the south by Slaterville, and on the west by Plain City, and was first settled by Mormon pioneers. In 1858, Joseph Taylor settled in the area that later became Farr West.
Early settlers had to be quite self-sufficient. They primarily raised hay and grain and kept a few farm animals for work and for food. As the population grew, some farmers furnished milk and butter to customers in the city. Later, farmers branched into dairy or poultry operations to augment family income; a few raised cash crops like onions, tomatoes, and potatoes.
The earliest business in Farr West was built in 1862. It was called the Prairie House, and was a tavern that primarily served travelers who were on their way to the gold mines in Montana. In 1869, the Union Pacific Railroad laid a line through the eastern part of Farr West, a line later called the Ogden Shoreline. In 1874 William Rawson opened the first general merchandise store in the town.